Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pastor Appreciation Message

Given by Danny Fierro at the Men's Retreat

1He called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil[a] spirits and to heal every disease and sickness.
2These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; 3Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; 4Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.
Matthew 10:1-4

When you think about a lineage or heritage it is typically in reference to the family. Whatever your family tree is, that is what your heritage essentially is. In business this same concept does not transfer over well primarily because business changes, economies change, the way we do things essentially is always changing.

There is however, one profession that can be linked to a heritage. While method often changes, the message has never, and will never change. The profession of the pastor.

We start this evening with Matthew 10:1-4 primarily as a reflection point for all of us. What Jesus has done in this passage is he has established a heritage, by which every believer in the gospel will be reached for the rest of eternity. The Apostle John wrote these words in chapter 17 of his gospel:

6"I have revealed you[a] to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. 7Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. ..18As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. 19For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified. 20"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.

John 17:6, 18-20
It is in the heritage of the apostolic office that the pastorate is established. The message of the gospel first preached by these men is the same gospel that God calls all pastors to teach today.
The message of salvation comes with a great price to the shepherds of God’s flock. Let’s look at the experience of the apostle Paul to this lofty calling.

I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. 27I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.
2 Corinthians 11:23b-28

It is a wonder that anyone would want such a calling, in fact the apostle James discouraged his audience of scattered believers to not become teachers because of the great strictness with which they would be judged. While the American pastor does not typically have to endure flogging, stoning, shipwreck or starvation, He does often receive verbal flogging, stoning of character, shipwreck of relationships, and starvation of community and prayer from his people.
The pastor should have no lofty expectations from the world, in fact, his expectation should b that he will be seen as a fool. But from God’s people there should be no position in life held with greater esteem, appreciation, and love. The Bible very clearly gives the believer a command to honor the shepherd.

Now we ask you, brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you. 13Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work.
1 Thessalonians 5:12-13b
It is in the spirit of this passage of scripture that I put before you our pastor Ben Fleming. The scriptures command us to hold him in high regard in love because of his work.
How can we show our pastor encouragement, appreciation, and love? I think this weekend is a good starting point, as we tackle the topic of community and growing together as a body. Does he want another card, a gift card, a you’re the greatest pastor in the world t-shirt? I know he would appreciate them all, but here is what your pastor really wants. At the heart of every pastor if you can do these two things he will feel appreciated.

2Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. 3And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. 4Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.

Colossians 4:2-4
First, your pastor will feel he is appreciated when he sees God’s people coming together in prayer. He wants your prayers for God’s people and he wants your prayers for himself. He needs your prayers. The pastor receives flaming arrows in his life just like you do, and how many times have you come to him, pray for me pastor, pray for me. But he also needs your prayers. And not only that, nothing will bring joy to the pastor than to see the sheep of his fold meeting together in corporate prayer which really is a lead in to the second point

First lets look at Hebrews 13:7
Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.

Also let’s look at 3 John 1:3-4
It gave me great joy to have some brothers come and tell about your faithfulness to the truth and how you continue to walk in the truth. 4I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.

If God’s people really want to show appreciation to their pastor, If we want to show appreciation to Ben, walk in the truth, imitate his life of faith. There is no greater joy for the pastor than to see that what he is teaching from God’s word is fruitful and active and changing the lives of the people he shepherds to the glory of God. On the converse side there is no greater destruction to the joy of a pastor when his people continue in indifference towards sin and are void of community and any evidence of Christian growth.

In this setting I am preaching to the choir. You men are here because you value community and you value growth. But if I can offer you any encouragement in the Lord for how to show appreciation for our pastor, pray for him, pray with him, and pray with others as he calls you to do so. Model the Christian life in season and out of season, by this I mean in your church life and in your private life, but above all as we lead a changing culture of community within our church, teach this message to others.