Friday, July 18, 2008

Oral Surgery

I had oral surgery on Monday to remove scar tissue from bitting my tongue and cheeck over the years. I have been focused all week on words. Words that I can say and words that I cannot say. I have found how speaking creates pain and how keeping quiet helps in the healing process. I am reminded of Proverbs 10:19 "When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise." Keeping silent has brought me more than wisdom this week. James knew what he was writing about in James 5:3 "Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark." What would others say about you? Are you someone who runs at the mouth or are your words few? Do you listen more than you speak? I can think of many people who have the gift of many words but few who are known as "listeners".